Expect the Unexpected
Enable Smart Manufacturing
Production flow and process design
Manufacturing has quickly changed from making a lot of the same items to making unique goods that need to be delivered fast. In the past, work orders were quickly “pushed” onto the floor causing bottlenecks, increased WIP, extended lead times, material shortages, and often chaos to the shop floor.
We have helped hundreds of companies reduce this chaos through well-designed production flow systems that pace manufacturing to true demand. By working on the right parts at the right time and not introducing work that is not needed, we have seen throughput improve by 30-40%, material shortages decrease and WIP levels rapidly fall.
Our Continuous Improvement Specialists repeatedly find that manufacturers today require the tools that will enable them to make fast, reliable predictions about capability. These techniques also help to establish processes that allow for quick response to customer demand. Manufacturing companies that leverage all the available systems and tools as well as continuous improvement techniques enjoy the following benefits:
- Pull-systems in place
- Constraints/bottlenecks are subordinated and managed
- Achieve rapid inventory turns while maintaining lower WIP
- Effective problem solving in place to achieve zero defects
- Minimal lot sizes or one-piece flow benefits are understood and in practice
- Lead times are zero for make-to-stock items and minimized for make to order items
- Clean, organized facility with “status at a glance” visual controls
- Trained, flexible, and empowered workforce
Scheduling that connects people, process and products.
Scheduling tools are an essential part of integrated planning and remain a powerful component in achieving world-class delivery performance. The most important outcome of a scheduling system is a reliable prediction of what will happen and when it will happen.
When scheduling systems are fully optimized, this prediction and subsequent execution (how it will happen) is what enables manufacturing companies to properly size resources, manage inventory, establish lead times, and provide customer delivery commitments with confidence.